After updating to builds 7870.2020 and 7870.2024, search stops working for PST files and POP accounts in Outlook 2016
A fix has been released for this issue in build 7870.2031. To install the fix, go to File > Office Account > Update Options > Update Now.
If you previously reverted to the older build, please re-enable updates by going to File > Office Account > Update Options >Enable Updates.
- If you recreated your Outlook Profile when search was not working, you will need to recreate it after updating to build 7870.2031. See Create an Outlook profile for more information.
- If you install the update and search is still not working try to rebuild the index. See Reset indexing by rebuilding your Instant Search catalog > Rebuild your search catalog section.
If you’re still experiencing the issue after the steps above, revert to the previous build, (16.0.7571.2109) to work around this issue. We’re working to resolve this issue and will update this article when a fix is available.
Here are the main steps to revert to the previous working version:
- Open a command prompt and run the following commands in order:
cd %programfiles%\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\ClickToRun
officec2rclient.exe /update user updatetoversion=16.0.7571.2109
- Open Outlook and click File > Office Account and set Update Options to Disable Updates.
- Add an appointment on your calendar for a month or more out to remind you to re-enable updates.
For more information, see: How to revert to an earlier version of Office 2013 or Office 2016 Click-to-Run.